Monday, March 17, 2014

School Life!


First of all, I want to apologize for the late post. For some reason, I couldn’t get the VPN to work so I couldn’t get on my blog page. Now it’s working again, so here goes my second post in Shanghai.

Tip 1: Yes, some websites don’t work in China without a VPN because of the censorship. Thankfully, USC students can use the school’s VPN for free. Just search for VPN on USC’s website and you’ll be able to download it! (If it doesn’t work on the first time, try a few more times because that’s what I had to do.)

It’s already been a month since I arrived in Shanghai. Shanghai is very lively and interesting, and it makes me sad that I’m only here for one semester. Although I have so much to share about the city, I’m going to leave that for the next blog and first tell you about how the school’s going for me.

Now that I’m free from being stressed out about course registration, I am appreciating how big and nice the campus is. Four of my classes are in the building called Guanghua—precisely it’s two tall towers linked together. It’s one of the newest buildings on campus where many foreign exchange students have their classes. It’s about a fifteen minute walk from the international student dorms, which is located in the farthest north side of the campus.
 
The massive Guanghua Building

 The statue of Mao on campus.


 There are cats everywhere on the campus.



On Mondays I have two classes on the southern campus, and it takes me about 20-25 minutes by walking. Unlike Guanghua, other “teaching buildings” are pretty old looking. Especially the restrooms are very old and traditional. Although I’m from Korea and was used to squat toilets, these buildings took it to a whole new level and made it one long connected squat toilet. My Chinese friend said even she has only seen these kinds in really rural areas.
 
  Just in case you were having a hard time picturing it.
 
 
 
Most students ride their bikes to class and many students also have electric scooters. I don’t have a bike or an electric scooter but I like riding in the back of them. The bikes have a “back seat” so lots of people bike around with another person sitting in the back. Since there are so many population riding bikes and scooters, you need to be very careful to not get hit by one.

Tip 2: If you are going to purchase a bike, it is better to get a secondhand one, because bikes get stolen very often. It is also good to get at least two locks.

All my classes are taught in English, and I am mostly satisfied with them. Many of my classes are in the late evening though, and all except my Chinese class are taught only once a week, so the classes go on for 2 or 3 hours. It’s weird being in class until 8 or 9pm, but I guess that’s better than having 8am classes.

Although most of my classes have only a handful of—or sometimes none—Chinese students, my Organizational Behavior course has about 80 Chinese students. It all depends on the subject and whether it is a required course for them or not. Even if there are not many Chinese students in class, it is interesting to hear their perspectives on some of the issues that come up during class. Also, since Fudan receives exchange students from varies countries, you get to be in an extremely internationalized classroom, sharing ideas and thoughts with students from all over the world. It’s an awesome experience that you can’t easily get in South Carolina.

One thing I want to say before I move on: be prepared for some frustration. I have to admit, the first few weeks here was quite…challenging. I didn’t like the fact that I had so little information about how the school system worked here. There was an orientation for business exchange students but it was held in the second week of school. The class registration process was very difficult because of some technological issues and because I could not get in contact with my advisor at USC during the registration period.

Nevertheless, it is important to remember that you need to be on top of things, making sure you get all the information you need. Don’t be hesitant to ask questions to the coordinator at Fudan and to offices at USC, and if they can’t help, ask other students until you get all the answers you need. You’re expected to find out and solve lots of things on your own. Although the idea can be scary, it’s all part of the study abroad experience. If you just ask the right questions to the right people, you will be able to get all the info and help you need. (I hope I didn’t sound too preachy there.)

Tip 3: Fudan University (and probably most other Chinese colleges) has a two-week add/drop period at the beginning of the semester. That’s when the professors don’t take attendance and you can try as many classes as you want.

Outside of class, I have joined two student organizations. One is the school’s international relations organization which I signed up for on the student organization recruiting day. I met a good Chinese-Korean friend named Haewol through the organization. I also joined a Korean Marketing organization, which is a small organization made up of Korean students from all over Shanghai. One benefit from participating in this organization is that I get to travel farther away from Fudan because the meetings are held outside of the school’s district. There are lots of other opportunities open to foreign students if you just look for them. Usually Chinese students are very motivated to learn English, so they would be glad to have English speakers join their clubs.

I'm going to end this post with my favorite drink ever: Coco milk tea with pearl jelly. It's so good I drink it almost every day. I'll be back with more stories about my life in Shanghai!